It was an overcast, day of strong winds and squally showers. An ideal day for a drive along the Manukau peninsula to the lighthouse at Awhitu.The country side was steep and the road winding through the valleys.Because of the wet season it was also very green.
We stop at a small weatherboard church at Kohekohe dated 1886.
It is still used for wedding ceremonies.
The rain holds off and we finally reach the lighthouse at the top of the peninsular. It is one of the only lighthouses in New Zealand that is open for the public to go inside and climb to the lookout at the top. It also only asks for a voluntary donation to aid with the maintainance of the building and surrounding area.The Manukau Heads Lighthouse, which dates from 1874, has been meticulously rebuilt, using original parts, by volunteers from the local Awhitu community.
The lighthouse ceased operation on its former site, a couple of kilometres away, in 1986, and important parts were placed in storage.
It has now been relocated next to the Manukau Heads Signal Station Platform, which has been on the site since 1865.
We have a sandwich at the picnic area, as we leave it begins to rain, a light atmospheric shower.